Saturday 3 April 2010

Breakfast of champions

Yes along with Kurt Vonnegut I think the Martini is an under rated breakfast. This is the king of breakfast Martinis, the marmalade.
Marmalade or Breakfast Martini
 This is my recipe

1 barspoon of good maramalade
1 dash orange bitters
1 good measure gin.

Harry Craddock goes with

1 barspoon maramalade
1 good measure gin
1/2 a small measure lemon juice

Normally I don't drink for breakfast, but there is a bit of a good reason today. Whilst in Vegas we took the adage "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" to heart and attempted to order this cocktail at several hotel bars. Most barstaff looked at us as if we'd grown horns or something. One however said "what goes in that then", I explained that we were after a very dry Martini with  a spoon full of marmalade "you mean like orange jelly ?" (actually no, I mean marmalade, which is a jam & a particular one at that) "yes, the stuff you put on toast" 
"in a drink ?"
"yes, its very good"
"jelly ! in a drink !  If I had any I'd make you some "
I should have dashed over to the breakfast bar and liberated a couple of those plastic boxes of marmalade, but it didn't occur to me.

So there you go a breakfast cocktail, its really worth drinking if you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment