Monday 17 May 2010

Vicious Hound

Whilst doing a spot of shopping I noticed some cut price strawberries, a quick check showed they weren't the horrible ElSanta(*) I bought them, despite them being Spanish & too early. I had a couple of things in mind, this new variation on a bloodhound cocktail being the main one.

 When I'd been playing with the Sakitin from vinegar-cocktails, I was thinking about strawberries & balsamic vinegar. I quickly topped the the strawberries, quartered them & put them in some balsamic for 24 hours or so. I lifted them out of the vinegar with a slotted spoon, I wasn't too fussed about getting some vinegar into the mixing glass. I muddled them down, adding a little sweet vermouth to loosen it up.

This is where I really departed from the standard bloodhound, as I left out the dry vermouth entirely, thinking that the strawberry & balsamic would provide the requisite dryness. Top up the mixing glass with ice, more sweet vermouth & gin, then shake hard. You'll need to double strain it, or you'll end up with a glass full of pips.

Despite the name, its actually a smoother drink than the bloodhound, it all balances quite nicely. Its definitely one for summer evenings as its very refreshing and you get strawberry balsamic as a left over & that has to be a good ingredient for a summer salad vinaigrette.

(*) El Santa is the supermarket favourite strawberry, if you grow it carefully in your garden you can get a good well tasting crop. If though its grown in an intensive agri-business way it ends up as a very good looking, but tasteless strawberry. A couple of supermarkets have recognized this and are selling different varieties, personally though I'm looking forward to the fresh English strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment